New MONDAY Classes (on Mercer Island)
- Meet New People; Learn to Dance with Ease -
FIVE MONDAY's: (Apr 17, 24, May 1, 3, 15) All classes are held at the Mercer Island J.C.C. (See directions below) All Monday Classes are Beginning Level
7:00-8:00pm: "Fabulous Foxtrot, 101" - Transport yourself back to the wonderful big band era of the 1930's-1940's by learning on of most popular dance of that period - the fabulous Foxtrot! We'll start by reviewing the basic footwork & foundations to this fluid and elegantly flowing dance, then quickly move on to some fun variations, as well as introduce how to effortlessly transition from one move to the next. Perfect for beg/int level dancers. Ideal to take in conjunction with the 8:15pm "West Coast Swing" class to build your repertoire and dance skills. (Level: Beg/Int) All welcome - No partner needed)
8:15-9:15: "An Intro to West Coast Swing!" - West Coast Swing is not only one of the smoothest, sexiest, an funnest forms of swing dance on the scene today, but is hugely popular in Seattle, across the country, and growing strong. Using Ari's very unique approach to understanding effortless partnered movement, you will not only quickly learn the foundations of WCS, but more importantly, you'll come away with a much deeper understanding of the fundamental language of energy & flow in dance that can be applied to any style you do! Not to be missed! Ideal to take in conjunction with the 7:00pm "Fabulous Foxtrot" class to help reinforce many of the concepts introduced there. (Level: Beg/Int) All welcome - No partner needed)
TWO STAND-ALONE MONDAYS: (May 22, June 5, "Make-Up" Classes)Monday, MAY 22:
- 7:00-8:00pm: "Fabulous SALSA!" - Learn how to dance the very popular "Salsa" with this fun step-by-step introduction to classic salsa footwork, styling, and lead/follow connection.
- 8:15-9:15pm: "Intro to Merengue & Cha Cha" - Take your Latin up a notch by adding Merengue & Cha Cha to your repertoire.
- 7:00-8:00pm: "Intro to Cross Step Waltz" Learn to effortlessly twirl and glide across the floor with the ever-popular waltz. Easy to learn; fun to do -- it's just like flying! . CLICK HERE to see an example of cross-step waltz.
- 8:15-9:15pm: "Swing Your Socks Off!" - We'll quickly review the basics, then learn some fabulous new East Coast Swing variations from Ari's repertoire of fun, playful dance moves.
- All Monday classes will be held at SJCC,
MONDAY: Each Monday class series includes 5 hrs of instruction, and 2 hrs of guided practice following the second class. Although you may take either individually, the 7:00 & 8:15 classes are designed to be taken together (You'll learn so much more!)
- One 5-week series (Salsa OR Cha Cha/Merengue) = $65 [SAVE $10]
- Both 5-week series (Salsa AND Cha Cha/Merengue) = $120 [SAVE $30]
- DROP-INS (with Instructor's Permission after the first class) = $15 per class
**PLEASE NOTE: All students registered for the 'full series' will get a video review of the class material. Drop-ins, however, will not be sent a video review.
TO REGISTER & PAY: Click on the "Registration" button in the menu on the top left side of this page to go to the Registration Page.
Payment can be made from the Payment page using PayPal or a credit card, or by check sent by mail, or paid at the door just before the first class. Payment by check will help you to avoid the additional online PayPal surcharge.
Class size is limited, so register early!
CLICK HERE to go to the Registration Page
New 2-Hour WEDNESDAY Stand-Alone Workshops (Seattle)
- focusing on fun new steps and great combinations -
FORMAT: Each class is a 2-hour, stand-alone workshop, followed by (or intermingled with) a 1/2 hour of guided practice. Class topics will vary week to week as per the schedule below. This format will allow us to dive more deeply into a single subject, as well as to allow you time for more personalized attention, feedback, and practice! Feel free to pre-register online or just drop-in! (Level for all sessions: Non-Novice Beg, Int, or Adv) All Welcome, No Partner needed
6:45pm: Doors open, Drop-in registration, or Sign-In (if pre-registered)
7:00-9:30pm: Workshop & Practica (format may vary slightly week to week, with practice intermingled throughout the lesson, or just at the end)
DATES & TOPICS:
WEDNESDAY's: (March-May) OPEN WORKSHOPS: All classes are held at China Harbor (See directions below) and are Int-Adv Level
- Mar 22nd (7:00-9:30pm): "Fabulous WCS Fusion" In this class, you will learn both the foundations of WCS partnering and the fusion approach to free-styling, playing, musicality and improvisation that will allow you come away with a much deeper understanding of the fundamental language of energy & flow in dance that can be applied to any style you do! Ari is a master at teaching fusion WCS styling, and in 2 hours you will achieve a fairly sophisticated understanding of how to free-style and play with WCS music, and so much more. Not to be missed! (Level: All levels) All welcome - No partner needed)
- March 29th (7:00-9:30pm): *NEW* "Fabulous "Cha Cha" Variations, with a little Blues Blending! Cha Cha is a fun, rhythmic, spicy dance that has found a home not only in the latin community, but also in country-western & swing dance, and even in the blues scene! In this workshop, we'll quickly review the Cha Cha basics, then introduce a variety of classic and modern combinations that you can blend with blues pulses and which will get you out dancing with the best of them! Perfect for both beginning dancers or for experienced dancers who want to focus on partnering and connection while learning a whole lot more about blending blues with cha cha! (Level: Non-Novice Beg, Int, or Adv (Some basic partner dance skills assumed) All Welcome, No Partner needed
April 12th (7:00-9:30pm): "Fantastic Cross-Step Waltz Creations (for Int/Adv Dancers)" Add such original steps as the "Barber's Combover", the "Seat Belt", the "Neck Strap", the "Double Dutch", the "Copa Catch", and the "Maypole" to your cross-step repertoire! Perfect for int/adv level waltzers. This will be a really fun session; I'm looking forward to it immensely! It's also the perfect way to prepare for our Fabulous Friday dances at Om Culture. (Level: Non-Novice Beg, Int, or Adv (Some basic waltz and partnering skills assumed) All Welcome, No Partner needed
- April 19th (7:00-9:30pm): Waltz Innovations: Introducing the Viennese “Stride Glide” (or triple-double step) Ari first learned this waltz maneuver over 30 years ago as an undergrad at Stanford, and has been teaching it to advanced Waltzers ever since. It’s a very clever syncopated step (a triple followed by a double) that allows you to slow your revolutions down in fast waltzes and literally glide your way across the floor! So much fun to do! CLICK HERE to see Ari & Alyssa demo some Viennese Waltz Fusion, including the "stride-glide" Level: Int, or Adv (some basic Rotary or Viennese waltz and partnering skills assumed) All Welcome, No Partner needed
- April 26th (7:00-9:30pm): "Playful Winter Blues" (Gliding & Sliding Variations!) In this fun, innovative workshops, we'll first review some of the basics of traveling, or "ballrooming" blues, then learn how to improvise using fun, innovative sliding and gliding steps from Swing & Foxtrot. We'll also show you how to blend Tango, Laminu, Latin and other dance styles into your blues repertoire. Amazingly simple to do, yet so much fun!
TUESDAY's: Closed Practice for NC2S Demo Team (at China Harbor)
- TUESDAY's (7:00-9:30pm): "NC2S Dance Demo & Practice Group" (CLASSES FOR GROUP MEMBERS ONLY. Please ask Ari about joining the team!) This is for int/adv-level dancers who would like to learn, practice, & hone their NC2S skills together with a group of fun, like-minded social dancers, with an eye to possibly performing demo's at Folklife and/or other Seattle events. In the first hour, we focus on learning fun, new combinations and steps as a group. In the second hour, we work on more advanced variations and stylings for individuals, with coaching by Ari & Alyssa. CLICK HERE for more details
- All Tuesday & Wednesday classes will be held at China Harbor,
WEDNESDAY: Sign up for any class individually (they are designed as stand-alone drop-ins) You can pre-register online, or just show up at the door 15 minutes early.
- Per Workshop (2 hrs of instruction, 1/2 hr guided practice) = $25
- STUDENTS (under age 25, with student ID): $20 ($5 savings)
Payment can be made from the Payment page using PayPal or a credit card, or paid at the door by cash or check just before the first class. Payment by cash or check will help you to avoid the additional online PayPal surcharge.
TO REGISTER & PAY ONLINE: To register online, click on the "Registration" button in the menu on the top left side of this page to go to the Registration Page.
Class size is limited, so register early!
CLICK HERE to go to the Registration Page
"After understanding the importance of connection, Ari began teaching me how to have a conversation without words; to listen to the lead and to the music and to recognize opportunities for back-leading and interjecting my own expression. When done fluidly, the conversation goes back and forth and truly becomes a creation of two dancers. This is why Ari’s lessons are so important for both leads and for follows. It is this understanding of 'close-connection' that will not only make you a better dancer, but more importantly, a better dance-partner. For this reason, I highly encourage you to attend his classes and experience this kind of connection for yourself."-- W.E., Sept 2010
"Ari's workshops are amazing! I've learned more about partnering in this one session than I have in all my years of group classes" -- K. B., April 2012
"Without a doubt, the BEST teacher I have ever taken lessons from, and I've taken from lots of teachers!" -- A.M., March, 2015
Swing, Blues, Balboa, Lindy, WCS, Night Club 2-Step, Hustle, Waltz (Rotary, Cross-Step, Fusion, Viennese), Foxtrot, Salsa, Merengue, Cha cha, Rhumba, One-Step, Styling, Connection, Lifts & Drops, and more!