New MONDAY Classes (Mercer Island)
- Meet New People; Learn to Dance with Ease -
FIVE MONDAY's: (Feb 27, Mar 6, 13, 20, 27) All classes are held at the Mercer Island J.C.C. (See directions below) All Monday Classes are Beginning Level
- 7:00-8:00pm: "Intro to Cross Step Waltz" Learn to effortlessly twirl and glide across the floor with the ever-popular waltz. Easy to learn; fun to do -- it's just like flying! Ari is one of this country's top cross-step waltz instructor. He runs "Waltz Week in Vienna" (Austria), as well as many other waltz camps throughout the USA and abroad. Perfect for singles, couples, family, friends, and more. All levels welcome -- no partner needed. Good to take in conjunction with the 8:15pm Swing class. CLICK HERE to see an example of cross-step waltz.
- 8:15-9:15pm: "Swing Your Socks Off!" - We'll quickly review the basics, then learn some fabulous new East Coast Swing variations from Ari's repertoire of fun, playful dance moves. Not to be missed! Great to take as a solo class or in conjunction with the 7:00 pm Waltz class to help reinforce and build on all of the elements you will learn there. Perfect for singles, couples, family, friends, and more. All levels welcome -- no partner needed.
- All Monday classes will be held at SJCC,
MONDAY: Each Monday class series includes 5 hrs of instruction, and 2 hrs of guided practice following the second class. Although you may take either individually, the 7:00 & 8:15 classes are designed to be taken together (You'll learn so much more!)
- One 5-week series (Salsa OR Cha Cha/Merengue) = $65 [SAVE $10]
- Both 5-week series (Salsa AND Cha Cha/Merengue) = $120 [SAVE $30]
- DROP-INS (with Instructor's Permission after the first class) = $15 per class
**PLEASE NOTE: All students registered for the 'full series' will get a video review of the class material. Drop-ins, however, will not be sent a video review.
TO REGISTER & PAY: Click on the "Registration" button in the menu on the top left side of this page to go to the Registration Page.
Payment can be made from the Payment page using PayPal or a credit card, or by check sent by mail, or paid at the door just before the first class. Payment by check will help you to avoid the additional online PayPal surcharge.
Class size is limited, so register early!
CLICK HERE to go to the Registration Page
New 2-Hour TUES/WED Stand-Alone Workshops (Seattle)
- focusing on fun new steps and great combinations -
FORMAT: Each class is a 2-hour, stand-alone workshop, followed by (or intermingled with) a 1/2 hour of guided practice. Class topics will vary week to week as per the schedule below. This format will allow us to dive more deeply into a single subject, as well as to allow you time for more personalized attention, feedback, and practice! Feel free free to pre-register online, or just drop-in! (Level for all sessions: Non-Novice Beg, Int, or Adv) All Welcome, No Partner needed
6:45pm: Doors open, Drop-in registration, or Sign-In (if pre-registered)
7:00-9:30pm: Workshop & Practica (format may vary slightly week to week, with practice intermingled throughout the lesson, or just at the end)
DATES & TOPICS:
TUESDAY's: Closed Practice for NC2S Demo Team (at China Harbor)
- TUESDAY's (7:00-9:30pm): "NC2S Dance Demo & Practice Group" (CLASSES FOR GROUP MEMBERS ONLY. Please ask Ari about joining the team!) This is for int/adv-level dancers who would like to learn, practice, & hone their NC2S skills together with a group of fun, like-minded social dancers, with an eye to possibly performing demo's at Folklife and/or other Seattle events. In the first hour, we focus on learning fun, new combinations and steps as a group. In the second hour, we work on more advanced variations and stylings for individuals, with coaching by Ari & Alyssa. CLICK HERE for more details
WEDNESDAY's: (Feb 15, 22, March 1, 8, 15, 22) OPEN WORKSHOPS: All classes are held at China Harbor (See directions below) and are Int-Adv Level
- Feb 15th (7:00-9:30pm): Getting Fancy with the "Foxtrot" (Int/Adv Variations) Learn a variety of fun, innovative new int/adv-level Foxtrot combinations from Ari's library of moves and inventions; beautiful, flowing, and elegant as always. Foxtrot is the classic partnered travel dance popularized from the 1930's to 1950's, and boasts some of the best music of that era. It has continued to thrive on the ballroom dance floor to this day, and now is a dance that we easily blend with other styles, such as swing, rhumba, Laminu, and blues. Fun to do! Expect some GREAT music as well. (Basic box step, twinkle, and partnering skills assumed)
- Feb 22th (7:00-9:30pm): "The Magic of Blues Waltz" In this fun, informative, and very applicable class, you'll learn how to blues waltz music (and we play a ton of this!) using blues techniques and stylings. "Blues waltz" music invites you to do a number of things differntly in your dance than you might in regular waltzes, and we will explore those things togeether here. Perfect for int/adv level waltzers.
- Mar 1st (7:00-9:30pm): "Balboa, for Swing Dancers!" Put a new "zip" & "pop" into your swing by adding some simple, fun, balboa steps and combos to your repertoire! Balboa is a delightful partnered swing dance from the 1920's & 30's, typically done to faster swing music, rags, and Charleston's. In this class, we'll introduce some of the basic balboa steps and patterns, then learn to incorporate these into your regular East Coast Swing to create some wonderful new combinations that are quite impressive yet easy to lead & follow on the dance floor! It's the perfect way to push the envelope into new swing territory, as well as to prepare for our Fabulous Friday Dances at Om Culture. (Some basic East Coast Swing and partnering skills assumed)
- Mar 8th (7:00-9:30pm): "Waltz New With You?" - Fun New Waltz Variations & Tricks Learn a variety of fun,new, innovative int/adv-level Cross-Step Waltz combinations from Ari's ever-expanding library of moves and inventions; beautiful, flowing, and elegant as always. Plus, get a little introduction to the art of free-flowing "Fusion Waltz" (CLICK HERE to see an example of a little Fusion Waltz improv with Ari & Alyssa). It's easy to learn and lots of fun to do! (Basic waltz steps and partnering skills assumed)
- Mar 15th (7:00-9:30pm): Fun with "Salsa-Blues" The ubiquitous "Double-Pulse Blues", or "Salsa-Blues" step pattern is an extremely versatile dance rhythm that can also be done to a wide variety of Latin and non-Latin music alike (such as blues, pop, soul, swing, and country). In this class we’ll cover the essential ‘building-block’ of salsa, or "double-pulse stepping", then quickly move on to explore more fun, creative combinations against a backdrop of both traditional latin and more contemporary “non-Latin” music. (Basic partnering skills assumed)
- Mar 22th (7:00-9:30pm): "Fabulous WCS Combos" In this fun, informative, and very applicable class, you'll learn how to blues waltz music (and we play a ton of this!) using blues techniques and stylings. "Blues waltz" music invites you to do a number of things differntly in your dance than you might in regular waltzes, and we will explore those things togeether here. Perfect for int/adv level waltzers.
- All Tuesday & Wednesday classes will be held at China Harbor,
TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY: Sign up for any class individually (they are designed as stand-alone drop-ins), or buy a four-bundle punchcard to save $5 and get a free pass to one of our 2nd or 4th Friday Dances at Om Culture! You can pre-register online, or just show up at the door 15 minutes early.
- Per Workshop (2 hrs of instruction, 1/2 hr guided practice) = $25
- Take any 4 Classes (8 hrs of instruction, 4 hrs guided practice) = $95 and get a FREE PASS to one of our upcoming 2nd or 4th week Friday Night Dances at Om Culture. You'll receive a punch card to attend any four stand-alone workshops in this series or the next (Feb, 2017) ($15 savings)
- STUDENTS (under age 25): $20 per class series ($5 savings)
TO REGISTER & PAY ONLINE: To register online, click on the "Registration" button in the menu on the top left side of this page to go to the Registration Page.
Payment can be made from the Payment page using PayPal or a credit card, or paid at the door by cash or check just before the first class. Payment by cash or check will help you to avoid the additional online PayPal surcharge.
Class size is limited, so register early!
CLICK HERE to go to the Registration Page
"After understanding the importance of connection, Ari began teaching me how to have a conversation without words; to listen to the lead and to the music and to recognize opportunities for back-leading and interjecting my own expression. When done fluidly, the conversation goes back and forth and truly becomes a creation of two dancers. This is why Ari’s lessons are so important for both leads and for follows. It is this understanding of 'close-connection' that will not only make you a better dancer, but more importantly, a better dance-partner. For this reason, I highly encourage you to attend his classes and experience this kind of connection for yourself."-- W.E., Sept 2010
"Ari's workshops are amazing! I've learned more about partnering in this one session than I have in all my years of group classes" -- K. B., April 2012
"Without a doubt, the BEST teacher I have ever taken lessons from, and I've taken from lots of teachers!" -- A.M., March, 2015
Swing, Blues, Balboa, Lindy, WCS, Night Club 2-Step, Hustle, Waltz (Rotary, Cross-Step, Fusion, Viennese), Foxtrot, Salsa, Merengue, Cha cha, Rhumba, One-Step, Styling, Connection, Lifts & Drops, and more!